Thursday 30 June 2016

A Coastal Style in Martha's Vineyard

Martha


I have no idea where the notion I had of Martha's Vineyard being a suburb in New England owned by the said, 'Martha Stewart', came from, it is most definitely an Urban myth. Put it down to the fact that I am a Kiwi on the other side of the world and forgive my previous ignorance. Once I began blogging about interior design I quickly learn't that Martha's Vineyard is a small island located South of Cape Cod, and not named after Martha. Regardless, I knew this area had some lovely homes, so I wanted to share one today.


Before you move onto the images, I want to give you a brief background to the location of this home. As I have said, Martha's Vineyard is an island South of Cape Cod in Massachusetts. It has always been a holiday destination and can be accessed by Ferry from most locations, In fact, if you don't mind the long trip, there is a ferry from New York to Martha's Vineyard taking 16.5 hours which is an awful long time but I would say well worth it if your taking a long break in one of the gorgeous homes on the island.

I imagine a fair few holiday homes are vacant at periods so they may not be furnished as a permanent home, however this gorgeous house is most likely a permanent residence for it's owner's. The interior was re-designed in 2015 by Lilliane Hart of Lilliane Hart Interiors. Lilliane's style is subtle yet lively with plenty of pattern and texture and she pays a lot of attention to detail which you will see in the first image above where Lilliane has cleverly used repeated lines in the furniture and styling. Vertical lines separate the drawers, horizontal lines feature on the lamp base and small lines both horizontal and vertical can be seen in the frame of the mirror. And, of course there is the reflection of the vertical lines of the stair rails which may possibly have been her inspiration. I love the styling on top of the chest, the lamp, bowl and lavender add softness to the heavy, solid look of the drawers.


Martha
Martha
Martha
Above: I had to comment on this image, the cupboard in the corner is encrusted with shells, isn't it gorgeous, on top some larger natural sea shelss are displayed 
Martha
Martha
Martha
Martha
Martha
Martha
Martha
Martha
Martha
Martha
Martha
Martha
Martha
Martha
Photography by Carter Berg

I hope you have enjoyed touring this lovely Martha's Vineyard home, I felt it was coastal yet traditional and I imagine it brings its owners joy throughout the seasons. More photos can be viewed in the link to Lilliane's Houzz profile you will find at the beginning of this post.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.